Saturday, March 9, 2019

March 9th soup

I am known, within a limited circle, for some good soup. This one did not start out looking like it would be one, but now my family is insisting that I write it down so we can make it again. I will try.

It was a dark and windy evening and a needed project was running overtime. Nobody wanted to go out and food needed to be ready for the ravenous herd in a very short time. So I said "what do we have?" Michelle and I rummaged through the fridge and cupboards and an idea of what would go with what.

Well, there was a lb of good bulk sausage left, so I started browning it. Michelle found some frozen onions and I stated browning them in the bottom of a soup pot. When the onions were starting to brown I added about 4 cups water and two Knorr chicken bullion cubes. I threw in three handfuls of frozen broccoli florets and the sausage. I also added some bouquet garni  seasoning and a few grinds of Trader Joe's everyday seasoning.

Next came the cans. Stay with me now. A can of cheddar cheese soup and a can of bean with bacon soup. Yes, really, I wanted to fill up some hungry people. When everything was all cooking down good together, I glugged in a bit of heavy cream, probably a half cup or more, I didn't measure anything really. Then I threw in a few scoops of rice leftover from lunch. I had to use a spoon to break it up, which broke up the now cooked broccoli into smaller pieces at the same time. I finished it with two small grabs of shredded cheese.

Megan tasted it and said it was good, but too thick, so she added some water. I guess soupy soup is a thing. I tend to end up making quite thick ones.

And great rejoicing was heard in the land. Even picking teenage Ellie had some. Of course Damien didn't, but he lives of milk and crackers - some french fries when he can get them.

And Michelle said that we should call this March the 9th soup and let the day be celebrated every year on this date. So I had to record the creation of the glorious, night before grocery shopping soup so that it can be a thing.

But only God and the kitchen gnomes know if it will ever come together quite the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment