Friday, December 9, 2016

Angels we have heard

It is something I often hesitate to mention, but I believe in angels.  Well, I'm not even sure if believe is the right word to use; I have occasionally seen and/or heard beings that seem to fit the name.  Not something that you tend to talk to about in everyday circles because people can look at you oddly.

Maybe it's that bit of Irish, or that bit of mountain. Sometimes I know things or see things I have no explanation for.  I could tell you stories, if you really want to hear them, but for now you will just have to take my word for it.  It isn't all the time.  And I'm not any crazier than most people I know.

My point is, I want to tell you about the one I saw last Sunday.  No, not with my actual eyes, though twice in the past when I saw them, it was just for a moment with my eyes.  But sometimes I see very clearly in my head in a way that just feels different and that I have come to respect and take notice of.  Now, it may well be a creative function of my best self or something, but if it shows me useful things, I see no good reason to disregard it.

Now, great scholars have searched scripture and defined angelic beings and really bored my pants off with hierarchies and such.  I'm going to keep it simple. Some angels guard and some carry messages.  I think others just like to sing and dance, maybe they all do.  But they don't run around in wings and halos. Why else would Hebrews 13:2 say " Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it." (NIV) if they didn't sometimes run around just looking like one of us?

So I'm sitting, being quiet as you do in a quiet Quaker meeting, with my eyes closed, listening for the Spirit I call God.  I got this odd feeling that someone had come in and sat down across the room from me, even though it was pretty far into our time and I hadn't heard the door open. So I glanced over, and only saw an empty seat.  But when I closed my eyes, I pictured clearly a young lady, just as she got up and came my way.

She could have been anywhere from 16-36, slightly built, with an unruly tangle of bob length curls and laughing eyes.  She was wearing a cute little summer dress in sky blue and pink bias plaid.  She sat down right next to me and kind of put her arm across my back and got close to my ear.  I thought at her "Who are you?" and she kind of giggled and said "An angel, of course."  

No, I didn't hear the actual words out loud.  Do I have to keep explaining this.  Yes I hear voices in my head, no I am not dangerous.  Yes, it has often been quite helpful.  And so, knowing angels sometimes have messages I said/thought "Did you have something to tell me?"

And the angel said "Fear not."  Yeah, just like the angels in scripture. They come and light up the sky and say FEAR NOT! 'cause everyone is, like, quaking in terror.  Pretty cool stuff.  So I waited for what came next. 

But that was it.  She was gone. 

But you know, that is not a bad message.  I'll admit it, I'm pretty good at fear.  Current events don't help that much.  Maybe I need to do some work on that not fearing stuff.  

Now, as you have gone this far down the rabbit hole with me, I might as well take you the rest of the way.  How do you not fear?  Well, being a good little Bible student, I know that. "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment." (1 John 4:18, NIV)  

On one hand, this is a very personal message to me, to go ahead and step out on a few things that I have been holding back on because of fear.  I really debated before deciding this was also a message I needed to share, not to tell you but to remind you.  There are so many things stirring up fear right now.  Remember love.  Remember that no matter what fear and evil would try to tell you, you are loved, and you are loved with perfect love, because that which is perfect cannot love any other way.  Fear not.


No comments:

Post a Comment