Saturday, August 24, 2013

Something easy to eat at the end of a long day.

This is how it goes when we go play medieval for the day.  I get up at 6am, get dressed, load up my truck, drive to an event (hopefully caffeinate on the way), unload, set up, play in another era, reverse the process, then me and my closest friends and family spend money we don't want to on food that isn't good for us.  A lovely day spent in pretending the past ends in the worst of the modern world.

So this slow cooker recipe pops up on Facebook, and it looks really yummy and easy.  Unlike a lot of the recipes I see, this one is not sweet and uses ingredients that could have been used back then. But it says cook 6 hrs. and these days out are 10-12 hours long.   I tried it out today with a few changes.  Everything came from Trader Joe's.  And I cooked it 10 hours on low.

It if effing fantastic; it has a rich, savory flavor, and the meat is falling apart.  It would be good over cooked grain or noodles, but I will be doubling it for our crowd. Add a veggie or salad and dinner is on!

Savory crocked chicken

2.5 lb. bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken tenders
1 of the little pouches of peeled garlic cloves
1 bottle amber ale
about a teaspoon dried oregano
about a teaspoon sea salt

Throw everything in a slow cooker and cook on low for at least 6 hours.

What I changed - chicken tenders instead of breasts, garlic cloves instead of garlic powder, and there was no salt in the original recipe.  Next time I might use more garlic and add a bit of pepper.

Yeah, and doubling it, or maybe tripling it.  Hey, it is really that good, trust your mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment